Software Developer with 12 Years of Experience
Personal Site & Portfolio // Contact Me
2013 - 2017 // King's College London University
- BSc Computer Science with a Year in Industry
- C-Score: 91
2015 - 2016 // Online CoursesShow details
- Mar 2016 - Apr 2016 // Coursera: "Algorithm Toolbox" // Grade: 100% // Certificate
- May 2016 - Jun 2016 // Coursera: "Data Structures" // Grade: 100% // Certificate
- Jul 2016 - Aug 2016 // Coursera: "Algorithms on Graphs" // Grade: 100% // Certificate
- Aug 2016 - Sep 2016 // Coursera: "Algorithms on Strings" // Grade: 100% // Certificate
- Jan 2016 - Feb 2016 // Udemy: "Learn & Understand Node.js" // Certificate // Code
- Jan 2016 - Feb 2016 // Udemy: "The Ultimate Python Tutorial" // Certificate // Code
2010 - 2012 // West Coventry Sixth FormShow details
- A-Levels: Media Studies A*; Mathematics A; Information Technology B; Economics B
- AS-Level: Critical Thinking A; Additional Mathematics A
- Android development - my primary focus since 2014. I've built and contributed to apps for several commercial and academic projects, taught Android development in various settings, and released a mildly popular open-source library. Since mid-2016 I've been using Kotlin in the majority of my Android projects.
- My positions as an Android developer
- My Android lectures at King's College london
- My open-source project, Android FAB with Speed-Dial Menu
- Full language list and more details
- Software development processes - including version control and the Agile working methodology. I have taught both of these topics in formal and informal settings, and have made great use of both in multiple positions as a software engineer.
- General Linux proficiency - main OS for much of my programming career. My experience includes setting server up from scratch, installing most of the technologies listed above, and managing them on a day-to-day basis. I also have some limited experience in Bash scripting.
- Teaching - a long-standing passion and skill of mine. My experiences range from 12 months as a full-time secondary school teacher to short, ad-hoc lab sessions to teach proper Git branching methodologies.
- My position as a secondary school teacher
- Computer hardware proficiency - skills that have proved to be valuable many times, particularly whilst working as a computer and laptop repair technician and when working on numerous hobby projects (including a small, Python-powered self-steering robot).
- Fire breathing and fire eating - an uncommon skill for software developers, but it's an excellent party trick and a very enjoyable hobby.
Feb 2014 - May 2017 // Android Lecturer & Treasurer // KCL Tech SocietyShow details
- Wrote and delivered Android development lectures as part of the Build X course ran by the society, and acted as an assistant for other lessons on beginner programming and website development.
- My project, Build X: Android lectures
- Assisted with the planning, organisation and execution of society events, from hackathons with 250+ attendees to socials and beginner programming classes.
Sep 2014 - Dec 2016 // Teaching Assistant // King's College LondonShow details
- Provided support in tutorials for Practical Experience of Programming, a C++/Scala course built upon problem-solving-based learning.
- Provided support in lectures for Advanced Practical Topics, an optional module taken by some first- and second-year students. The module is structured to give insights on a wider range of technical and programming topics that are not covered in the standard course, including Unix, Python, version control and mobile development.
- My position as a teaching assistant
Sep 2016 - Sep 2016 // Android Developer (Intern) // Yoyo WalletShow details
- Contributed to Yoyo Wallet's well-established Android app, developing both consumer-facing features and internal tools.
- Set up new CI tools to automate some stages of the Android/iOS QA workflow, introducing time savings and removing monotonous steps from the code review process.
Apr 2014 - Aug 2016 // Android Lead & Software Engineer // UnituShow details
- Responsible for the production, development and testing of the Unitu Android app, deployed for use by thousands students in several UK universities. The app is a comprehensive reproduction of most features offered on the web platform, built entirely from scratch following an Agile methodology.
- My project, the Unitu Android app
- Contributed to various web and back-end components, including a ground-up re-build of the notification system, a content moderation and reporting system, and a client-health dashboard.
- Technical lead for the development of an all-inclusive analytics suite, specialised for the Unitu environment. This incorporates the API for all platforms to collect data (mobile and web), the storage and processing of that data, and two front-end systems to turn the data into business intelligence (one for Unitu staff, one for universities enrolled with Unitu).
- My project, Unitu Analytics
July 2015 - Aug 2015 // Service Intern // Allianz InsuranceShow details
- Stationed with Petplan, one of Allainz's brands, I joined their service department and headed up two projects, as well as assisting with six other. My work centred around performance improvement and involved project management, managing upwards, technical development, research and analysis.
- My position at Allianz
- My project, Petplan Live!
- My project, Your Voice
Dec 2008 - Aug 2014 // Self-EmployedShow details
- Provided full-stack website design and development, including SME ecommerce solutions and CMS implementations. This work was mostly carried out on LAMP-style servers, both rented from third parties and set up privately.
- Managed all aspects of the business, including sales, consultancy, production, support and accounting.
- Maintained a client base of individuals and business of various sizes, in the UK and overseas.
- My position as a self-employed developer
July 2014 - Aug 2014 // Project Management Intern // ExcelianShow details
- Worked within the project management office: tested in-house software, assisted with generating reports, created process documentation and built a digital resource sharing tool with MS SharePoint.
- Assisted the in-house IT department with several tasks, including setting up and testing a semi-automated computer image deployment system (using, amongst other tools, the Fog Project server software).
- My position as a PMO intern
Aug 2012 - Aug 2013 // Secondary School Teacher // Project TrustShow details
- Taught mathematics, reading and PE at Sand Creek Secondary School in Guyana, South America.
- Taught extra-curricular courses for students, parents and village officials, including ICT and first aid sessions.
- Provided peer support and mentoring as the Grade 8 form tutor.
- My position as a secondary school teacher
Nov 2009 - Jun 2012 // Technician & Sales Assistant // Gigante ComputersShow details
- Serviced all brands of PCs and laptops, including fault diagnostics, virus removal, installing and configuring software and operating systems, and repairing hardware and software faults (including replacing laptop screens and heat-gun re-flowing motherboards and graphics cards).
- Designed and built bespoke PCs to match specifications and budgets, from servers to high-end gaming rigs.
- Served customers and resolved issues on a sales floor offering a wide range of products and services, working with customers possessing a wide range of technical abilities.
Awards & Memberships
- 2017 // British Computing Society Prize for Best Student
- 2017 // Alan Turing Centenary Prize
- 2017 // Hilary English Computer Prize
- 2017 // John Oriel Prize
- 2016 // KCL Student Union Gold Grown
- 2014 // British Computing Society Prize for Best Student
- 2014 // KCL Department of Informatics Award for Exceptional Contribution
- 2014 // Sambrooke Exhibition in Natural Sciences (via King’s College London)
- 2014 // John Wiley and Sons Prize (via King’s College London)
- 2014 - present // Member of the British Computing Society
- 2007 - 2012 // Member of UK Young Gifted and Talented
- 2005 - 2012 // Member of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth
Volunteering & Charity Work
Aug 2012 - Aug 2013 // Gap Year with Project Trust
- Served with the charity Project Trust, one of very few officially accredited gap year organisations in the UK.
- Taught youths aged 13 – 16 in Sand Creek, a remote Wapishana-tribal village in the hinterlands of Guyana.
- Managed several school development projects and started an eventually-successful initiative to bring Internet access to the village.
- Raised over £5,100 to fund the gap year (insurance, training, transport, etc.).
- My work as a secondary school teacher
- Mar 2014 // Raced in Central London, raising £330 for the British Heart Foundation.
- Jul 2012 // Climbed Snowdon, raising over £400 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Apr 2011 // Organised a concert to raise over £500 for the British Red Cross' Japan Tsunami fund.
- Oct 2009 // Participated in a cycling event, raising £400 for the British Heart Foundation.
References & Contacting Me
I have a number of references and recommendations available on my main website, and additional referee contact details can be provided on request. I can be contacted via any of the methods listed on my main website.